Welcome to a new week of TV! It’s a CRAZY busy week, it seems like. Tons of finales and premieres, including some biggies that I’ve been looking forward to, such as Merlin on Sunday and The Philanthropist on Wednesday. So let’s get to it! (By the way, Happy Father’s Day to not only my dad and father-in-law, but my husband, who is a wonderful father to our son, and to all the fathers out there!) Jump with me to see this week’s schedule!
Sunday is the season finale of HGTV’s $250,000 Challenge on HGTV at 10/9c. I’m rooting for Jeff and Elizabell Marquez. The other couple just drives me up the wall. She cries a lot and he tries to act cool (calling the backsplash a “splash” and he wanted to “trim” the cabinets – meaning he wanted to paint a part of the outside or something… *rolling eyes*), and it just doesn’t work. lol
Tonight is also the series premiere of Merlin on NBC at 8/7c, followed by a 2nd new episode at 9/8c. Merlin is a new 13-part drama series that updates the story of the infamous sorcerer of Arthurian legend for a new audience in the mythical city of Camelot, in a time before history began. In this fantastical realm, Merlin is a young man gifted with extraordinary magical powers who arrives in the kingdom and quickly makes enemies, including the heir to Uther’s crown, the headstrong Prince Arthur. But guided by Uther’s wise physician, Gaius, Merlin is soon using his talents not just to survive but also to unlock Camelot’s mystical secrets. Starring Colin Morgan as Merlin, Bradley James as Prince Arthur, Anthony Head (Giles on Buffy the Vampire Slayer) as King Uther, Richard Wilson as Gaius, Katie McGrath as Morgana, Michelle Ryan (Jaime Sommers on Bionic Woman) as Nimueh, Angel Coulby as Gwen and Santiago Cabrera (Isaac Mendez on Heroes) as Lancelot, Merlin is an imaginative new twist on a legend that is as old as time.
Another premiere tonight is the season premiere of Just For Laughs on ABC at 7/6c.
Tonight on ABC is the 2-hour part 1 of a 2-part miniseries, Impact at 9/8c. The most spectacular meteor shower in 10,000 years results in a direct hit to the moon, leaving it on a collision course with the Earth. A small group of international astronauts, scientists and soldiers band together in a race against time to save humanity. It stars David James Elliott (JAG & Close to Home), Natasha Henstridge (Eli Stone), Steven Culp (Desperate Housewives) and James Cromwell (W, L.A. Confidential & Babe), among others.
Finally, it’s the Guy’s Choice 2009 2-hour special on Spike TV at 10/9c. I can only imagine what that entails, being on Spike TV, but if you are a guy, you might check it out.
Also on tonight:
- *Season Finale* – HGTV’s $250,000 Challenge (#HCHL1-104) – HGTV @ 10/9c
- *Series Premiere* – Merlin (#101/102) – NBC @ 8/7c & 9/8c (2 New Episodes, Including Series Premiere)
- *Season Premiere* – Just For Laughs (#301) – ABC @ 7/6c
- *Special* – Guy’s Choice 2009 – Spike TV @ 10/9c (2-Hour Special)
- *Special* – Impact – ABC @ 9/8c (2-Hour Part 1 of 2-Part Miniseries)
- *New* – Army Wives (#303) – Lifetime @ 10/9c
- *New* – Brooke Knows Best (#203-30) – VH1 @ 10/9c
- *New* – Daisy of Love (#108-60) – VH1 @ 9/8c
- *New* – Denise Richards: It’s Complicated (#203) – E! @ 10:30/9:30c
- *New* – Expedition Africa (#104) – History Channel @ 10/9c
- *New* – Food Network Challenge: Extreme Candy Carnivals – Food Network @ 8/7c
- *New* – Gene Simmons Family Jewels (#82/411 & 83/412) – A&E @ 9/8c & 9:30/8:30c (2 New Episodes)
- *New* – Hammertime (#03/103) – A&E @ 10/9c (1-Hour New Episode)
- *New* – How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? (#103) – BBC America @ 8/7c
- *New* – Ice Road Truckers (#304) – History Channel @ 9/8c
- *New* – In Plain Sight (#209) – USA @ 10/9c
- *New* – Kendra (#104) – E! @ 10/9c
- *New* – Law & Order: CI (#809) – USA @ 9/8c
- *New* – The Next Food Network Star (#503) – Food Network @ 9/8c
- *New* – True Blood (#202) – HBO @ 9/8c
Monday is the season finale of Gotti’s Way on VH1 at 10:30/9:30c.
Tonight is the season premiere of The Secret Life of the American Teenager on ABC Family at 8/7c.
Following that is the series premiere of Make It or Break It at 9/8c. Gymnastics newcomer Emily Kmetko (Chelsea Hobbs, Lords of Dogtown) has dreams of becoming an Olympic gymnast and, when she receives a scholarship to train at one of the nation’s top gyms, she gets the chance to make her dreams come true. But when she shows up at The Rock gymnastics training center in Colorado, she inadvertently shakes up the gym’s status quo. Emily’s natural abilities and lower economic status don’t win her friends immediately. The three girls most threatened by her arrival are top gymnast Payson Keeler (Ayla Kell, CSI: Miami), whose whole life is gymnastics and who is used to being number one; the beautiful Kaylie Cruz (Josie Loren, 17 Again), who must deal with a dad who is a perfectionist and a secret relationship with the gym’s resident hottie, Carter Anderson (Zachary Burr Abel, The Secret Life of the American Teenager); and ultra competitive Lauren Tanner (Cassie Scerbo, Bring It On: In It To Win It), who takes Emily’s arrival the hardest. With Emily just trying to do her best, will the girls eventually warm up to the newcomer or, if Lauren has her way, will Emily be heading back to the local YMCA gym she came from? Also stars Peri Gilpin (Frasier), Candance Cameron Bure (Full House) and Susan Ward (Sunset Beach).
Also on tonight:
- *Season Finale* – Gotti’s Way (#208-30) – VH1 @ 10:30/9:30c
- *Series Premiere* – Make It or Break It (#101) – ABC Family @ 9/8c
- *Season Premiere* – The Secret Life of the American Teenager (#201) – ABC Family @ 8/7c
- *New* – 4th & Long (#106) – Spike TV @ 10/9c
- *New* – Cake Boss (#105) – TLC @ 10/9c
- *New* – Here Come the Newlyweds (#205) – ABC @ 10:02/9:02c
- *New* – I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here (#214-120) – NBC @ 8/7c (2-Hour New Episode)
- *New* – Intervention (#89/704) – A&E @ 9/8c
- *New* – Jon & Kate Plus 8 (#506-30) – TLC @ 9/8c
- *New* – Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List (#503) – Bravo @ 10/9c
- *New* – New York Goes To Work (#108-30) – VH1 @ 10/9c
- *New* – Nurse Jackie (#103) – Showtime @ 10:30/9:30c
- *New* – Obsessed (#02/102) – A&E @ 10/9c
- *New* – Raising the Bar (#203) – TNT @ 10/9c
- *New* – Run’s House (#602-30/603-30) – MTV @ 10/9c & 10:30/9:30c (2 New Episodes)
- *New* – The Bachelorette (#506-120) – ABC @ 8/7c (2-Hour New Episode)
- *New* – The Closer (#503) – TNT @ 9/8c
- *New* – Weeds (#503) – Showtime @ 10/9c
Tuesday is the 90-minute series premiere of The Superstars on ABC at 8/7c. The series is based on ABC’s classic Wide World of Sports series of the same name, which pitted athletes from all different sports against each other to determine the best athlete in the world. The Superstars pairs the celebrities with the athletes to compete in varying sporting events. Participants found out who their selected partners were only when they met for the first time at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas. The team pairings will be (athlete/celebrity): Terrell Owens & Joanna Krupa; Jeff Kent & Ali Landry; Robert Horry & Estella Warren; Bode Miller & Paige Hemmis; Kristi Leskinen & Maksim Chmerkovskiy; Lisa Leslie & Dan Cortese; Jennifer Capriati & David Charvet and Brandi Chastain & Julio Iglesias, Jr.
Tonight is also the series premiere of The Best Thing I Ever Ate on Food Network at 9:30/8:30c. Ever wonder what the biggest food stars and chefs eat in their free time – when they’re paying? Find out in this new show. It’s the ultimate guide to the country’s most amazing meals, eats, and treats as told by the pros who spend their lives obsessing over food. From a barbecue sandwich worth driving over 1500 miles to canolli so good that it completely healed a bad breakup. Don’t miss this series featuring some of your favorite Food Network stars, offering a taste of the things you must try before you die.
The last series premiere tonight is NYC Prep on Bravo at 10/9c. It chronicles the lives of a group of privileged teenagers who are key players in Manhattan’s elite high school scene. Students who travel in packs – whether it’s on sophisticated vacations or to a townhouse for an exclusive midnight party, their lives intertwine as they network, shop, party, study, date and write college applications. Everyone’s beautiful and everyone’s connected.
Tonight is also the 2-hour season premiere of America’s Got Talent on NBC at 9/8c and the season premiere of The Cleaner on A&E at 10/9c.
Finally, tonight is a 1-hour reunion special for The Real Housewives of New Jersey on Bravo at 9/8c.
Also on tonight:
- *Series Premiere* – NYC Prep (#101) – Bravo @ 10/9c
- *Series Premiere* – The Best Thing I Ever Ate (#101) – Food Network @ 9:30/8:30c
- *Series Premiere* – The Superstars (#101-90) – ABC @ 8/7c (90-Minute Series Premiere)
- *Season Premiere* – America’s Got Talent (#401-120) – NBC @ 9/8c (2-Hour Season Premiere)
- *Season Premiere* – The Cleaner (#14) – A&E @ 10/9c
- *Special* – The Real Housewives of New Jersey (#108) – Bravo @ 9/8c (1-Hour Reunion Special)
- *New* – 18 Kids & Counting (#213-30) – TLC @ 9/8c
- *New* – Apprentice UK (#109) – BBC America @ 9/8c
- *New* – Better Off Ted (#1APX??) – ABC @ 9:30/8:30c
- *New* – Chopped (#202) – Food Network @ 10/9c
- *New* – Deadliest Catch (#511) – Discovery Channel @ 9/8c & 10/9c (1 New Episode & 1 After the Catch Special)
- *New* – Hawthorne (#102) – TNT @ 9/8c
- *New* – Hitched or Ditched (#106) – CW @ 9/8c
- *New* – I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here (#215-60) – NBC @ 8/7c
- *New* – Mental (#MEN-105) – FOX @ 9/8c
- *New* – Paris Hilton’s My New BFF (#204-60) – MTV @ 10/9c
- *New* – Rescue Me (#512) – FX @ 10/9c
- *New* – Saving Grace (#302) – TNT @ 10/9c
- *New* – The First 48 (#134/816) – A&E @ 9/8c
- *New* – The Little Couple (#108) – TLC @ 10/9c
- *New* – Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood (#405) – Oxygen @ 10/9c
- *New* – Wedding Day (#102) – TNT @ 8/7c
Wednesday is the season finales of I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here on NBC and Time Warp on the Discovery Channel, both at 8/7c.
Tonight is also the series premiere of The Philanthropist on NBC at 10/9c. chronicles the heroic adventures of a billionaire playboy turned vigilante philanthropist. James Purefoy (Rome) stars as Teddy Rist, a successful tycoon whose life is forever changed after rescuing a young boy during a hurricane in the Nigerian town he was visiting. Rist is spontaneous and impulsive and quickly decides to channel his passion, power and money into helping those in need. Rist’s actions are not just about helping others – he is purging his soul to help exorcise the inner demons which have been festering ever since his young son died and he lost everything he truly loved. Since the death of his son, the danger and risk to his life is the only way he can feel genuinely alive and he’ll do anything in order to achieve his goals. A man who has everything but can feel nothing, Rist keeps his adrenaline pumping by putting his business head and money-making skills to good use through bargaining with the self-righteous, making deals with drug barons and trading with the nefarious. The show boasts a heady cast of established and up-and-coming talent. Purefoy takes on the lead role of Teddy Rist, Jesse L. Martin (Law & Order) plays Teddy’s business partner and friend, Philip Maidstone, and Neve Campbell (Burn Up) plays Olivia, Philip’s wife who also runs the charitable foundation set up by the two billionaires. Purefoy, Martin and Campbell are supported by a tremendous line up of names from both sides of the Atlantic including Lindy Booth (The 4400), Michael Kenneth Williams (The Wire), Krista Allen (The Starter Wife) and newcomer James Albrecht.
Finally, tonight is the 22nd season premiere of The Real World on MTV at 10/9c. 22nd season, people! And I’ve never seen a single episode. 😀 LOL
Also on tonight:
- *Season Finale* – I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here (#216-60) – NBC @ 8/7c
- *Season Finale* – Time Warp (#212-60) – Discovery Channel @ 8/7c
- *Series Premiere* – The Philanthropist (#101) – NBC @ 10/9c
- *Season Premiere* – The Real World (#2201-60) – MTV @ 10/9c
- *New* – America’s Got Talent (#402-60) – NBC @ 9/8c
- *New* – Dog the Bounty Hunter (#138/605 & 139/606) – A&E @ 9/8c & 9:30/8:30c (2 New Episodes)
- *New* – Gordon Ramsay’s F Word (#402) – BBC America @ 9/8c
- *New* – I Survived a Japanese Game Show (#202) – ABC @ 9/8c
- *New* – Pitchmen (#111) – Discovery Channel @ 10/9c
- *New* – Reno 911 (#609) – Comedy Central @ 10:30/9:30c
- *New* – So You Think You Can Dance (#DAN-514/515) – FOX @ 8/7c (2-Hour New Episode)
- *New* – Tattoo Highway (#07/107) – A&E @ 10/9c
- *New* – Top Chef Masters (#103) – Bravo @ 10/9c
- *New* – Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns (#209/210) – TBS @ 10/9c & 10:30/9:30c (2 New Episodes)
- *New* – Wipeout (#216) – ABC @ 8/7c
- *New* – Your Worst Animal Nightmares (#109/110) – Animal Planet @ 9/8c
Thursday is the season premiere of Penn & Teller: Bullshit on Showtime at 10/9c. This week’s episode? Orgasms. I almost can’t help but watch… Almost. *shudder* lol
Also on tonight:
- *Season Premiere* – Penn & Teller: Bullshit (#701) – Showtime @ 10/9c
- *New* – 16 & Pregnant (#103-60) – MTV @ 10/9c
- *New* – American Chopper (#145/612) – TLC @ 9/8c
- *New* – Burn Notice (#304) – USA @ 9/8c
- *New* – Crime 360 (#17/207) – A&E @ 10/9c
- *New* – In the Motherhood (#1??) – ABC @ 8:30/7:30c
- *New* – Royal Pains (#104) – USA @ 10/9c
- *New* – Samantha Who? (#210) – ABC @ 8/7c
- *New* – She’s Got the Look (#203) – TV Land @ 9/8c
- *New* – Snapped (#710) – Oxygen @ 10/9c
- *New* – So You Think You Can Dance (#DAN-514A/515A) – FOX @ 9/8c
- *New* – The Fashion Show (#108) – Bravo @ 10/9c
- *New* – The Listener (#105) – NBC @ 10/9c
- *New* – Tosh.0 (#104) – Comedy Central @ 10/9c
Friday is the 2-hour “special” (ie: possibly a back-door pilot if it does well enough) of Virtuality on FOX at 8/7c. The crew of the Phaeton is approaching the go/no-go point of their epic 10-year journey through outer space. With the fate of Earth in their hands, the pressure is intense. The best bet for helping the crew members maintain their sanity is the cutting-edge virtual reality technology installed on the ship. It’s the perfect stress-reliever until they realize a glitch in the system has unleashed a virus on to the ship. Tensions mount as the crew decides how to contain the virus and complete their mission. Meanwhile, their lives are being taped for a reality show back on Earth. The cast includes: Clea DuVall (Heroes & Carnivale), Erik Jensen (CSI & Love Monkey), Gene Farber, James D’Arcy (An American Haunting & Exorcist: The Beginning, Jimmi Simpson (Late Show with David Letterman as Lyle the intern & It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia at Liam McPoyle LOL), Jose Pablo Cantillo (Standoff), Joy Bryant (Antwone Fisher & Bobby), Kari Wahlgren, Kerry Bishe (Life on Mars & Sex and the City), Nelson Lee (Vacancy 2 & Blade: The Series), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (New Amsterdam as John Amsterdam), Omar Metwally (Rendition), Ritchie Coster (The Dark Knight & American Gangster) and Sienna Guillory (Eragon & Love Actually). The show was created and is produced by Michael Taylor and Ronald D. Moore (of Battlestar Galactica fame).
Tonight’s guests on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross on BBC America at 8/7c are Jack Black, Sue Perkins & Giles Coren and Take That.
Also on tonight:
- *Special* – Virtuality – FOX @ 8/7c
- *New* – Friday Night with Jonathan Ross (#1619) – BBC America @ 8/7c
- *New* – Real Time with Bill Maher (#718) – HBO @ 10/9c
- *New* – Say Yes To the Dress (#314) – TLC @ 10/9c
- *New* – Surviving Suburbia (#1??) – ABC @ 8/7c
- *New* – The Chopping Block (#105) – NBC @ 8/7c
- *New* – The Goode Family (#1??) – ABC @ 8:30/7:30c
- *New* – Whale Wars (#204) – Animal Planet @ 9/8c
- *New* – What Not To Wear (#705) – TLC @ 9/8c
Saturday is a 1-hour special of Groomer Has It on Animal Planet at 8/7c, followed by the season finale at 9/8c.
It is also the season premiere of 24/7 on HBO at 9:30/8:30c.
There are 2 other specials tonight. First is Ellen’s Bigger Longer and Wider Show on TBS at 9/8c.
Also at 9/8c is the “The Next Doctor” Special for Doctor Who on BBC America. There is some interesting info about some other upcoming specials here on The Futon Critic.
Also on tonight:
- *Season Finale* – Groomer Has It (#212/213) – Animal Planet @ 8/7c & 9/8c (1-Hour Special & 1-hour Season Finale)
- *Season Premiere* – 24/7 (#601) – HBO @ 9:30/8:30c
- *Special* – Doctor Who – BBC America @ 9/8c (“The Next Doctor” Special)
- *Special* – Ellen’s Bigger Longer and Wider Show – TBS @ 9/8c (1-Hour Special)
- *New* – Can You Duet? (#202-60) – CMT @ 2/1c (1-Hour New Episode)
- *New* – Eli Stone (#211) – ABC @ 10/9c
- *New* – Harper’s Island (#111) – CBS @ 9/8c
- *New* – Kings (#109) – NBC @ 8/7c
- *New* – Primeval (#307) – BBC America @ 9/8c
- *New* – The Singing Bee – CMT @ 3/2c (1-Hour New Episode)
That’s it! Hope you all have a great week!